Question:
Who is really better in soccer Pele or Maradona? Because some people say it's Maradona and some say it's Pele.
worldcup dreams
2006-04-09 20:20:44 UTC
If you don't know who these heroes are then you must be living on the moon for the last 50 years.......
Fourteen answers:
l_pour_soi
2006-04-09 21:04:29 UTC
Pele the KING!

From my experience, most people who say Maradona is better tend to be Argentines. Granted, Maradona is one of the greats of all time, but his claim to the throne of greatest player of all time tends to come from the two goals he scored against England in the 1986 World Cup. His style also was more based on speed and strength thanks to his short and stocky frame, and strong legs. Pele on the other hand is poetry in motion, strong yet graceful. Maradona had many acrobatic plays as well, but his was more of the spectacular, of the spectacle, more flash and dash. Pele made football an artform. Plus the guy had 1300 career goals!

That's just my take on it.

Hey if you don't agree, just think about this: In 1970, the two factions involved in a civil war in Nigeria agreed for a 48-hour ceasefire just so they could watch Pelé play an exhibition game in Lagos.

I don't think Maradona ever stopped any wars...

:)
2006-04-09 21:30:36 UTC
when you consider who the best player is you should only look at their performance on the soccer field and not their actions off of the field. if you asked who was the better role-model it would obviously be Pele. maradona made some very bad decisions that make many people not like him. but that doesn't answer the questions of who was better on the soccer field. the better player is the one who had more of an impact to his soccer team. maradona dominated and won the world cup in 1986 hands down by himself. he dominated the world cup better than Pele did in 1958, 1962, and 1970. they were both truly great but maradona was the better player.
gentdelbarcelona
2006-04-09 20:36:40 UTC
it's defintly a very hard decision. both pele and maradona were very good at dribling and shooting. however i think pele is better since he is more of a true footballer. he didnt use drugs like maradona did. i'm sure people on the moon know about pele and maradona as well
roomba
2006-04-09 20:32:55 UTC
Pele. He had a bigger impact on the sport than Maradona. Plus Maradona was involved in some controversy with some illegal drugs, and I think that takes away from his image.
canada2006
2006-04-09 20:41:12 UTC
Hard to judge,they both the greatest in soccer history ,I like Pele more because of his manner,Maradona had a big mouth and "GOD" hand.
ndenkov79
2006-04-10 00:19:52 UTC
It's difficult to say given the fact that they played during different eras in the history of football. Maradonna played in much more competitive environmment. Pele left a bigger mark in the history. The best I've seen is Van Basten.
stuck_in_rok
2006-04-09 20:31:35 UTC
Michael Jordan
krazedsoccer293
2006-04-09 21:09:51 UTC
sadly i don't know much about either one. you will never know on that question. because it's a matter of opinion and you could argue that forever. but in my opinion pele is better. he is more graceful and stopped a war for like two days.
timoumi
2006-04-09 20:29:01 UTC
pele because he won 3 world cups with brazil
ajit_21st
2006-04-09 20:51:19 UTC
i think pele is better in soccer
moses